ComReg's Postal Role
ComReg is the National Regulatory Authority for the Postal Sector in Ireland.
The postal services market in Ireland is liberalised since 1 January 2011 and therefore fully open to competition.
As set out in ComReg’s Postal Strategy Statement 2012 – 2014 (ComReg Doc 12/116), ComReg’s mission is to promote the development of the postal sector, to ensure the provision and availability of an affordable, high quality universal postal service; to promote the interests of postal service users; and to facilitate the development of competition and innovation in postal service provision.
ComReg’s statutory function is to:
- Ensure the provision of a universal postal service that meets the reasonable needs of postal service users
- To monitor and ensure compliance by postal service providers with obligations imposed on them in relation to the provision of postal services
ComReg’s statutory objectives in relation to the provision of postal services are to promote the development of the postal sector and, in particular, the availability of a universal postal service within, to and from the State at an affordable price for the benefit of all postal service users, to promote the interests of postal service users within the Community, and to facilitate the development of competition and innovation in the market for postal service provision.
In delivering its objectives, ComReg's focus is to:
Establish monitoring and regulatory procedures for ensuring compliance by postal service providers with their obligations and by the universal service provider to secure the provision of a universal postal service
- Ensure that postal service users may avail of a universal postal service that meets their reasonable needs
- Ensure that postal service users derive maximum benefits in terms of choice, price, and quality
- Ensure a high level of protection for postal service users by:
- Ensuring the availability of simple and inexpensive independent dispute resolutions procedures
- Consulting and co-operating with the National Consumer Agency when required
- Addressing the needs of specific social groups, in particular, disabled postal users.
The principal functions of ComReg in respect of postal services are set out the Communications Regulation (Postal Services) Act 2011 which came into force on 2 August 2011.