Services provided by An Post
Classification of services provided by An Post
Universal Postal Services -as provided by Universal Postal Service Provider ‘An Post’
As a result of the Communications Regulation (Postal Services) Act 2011 which came into force on 2 August 2011, An Post is the designated provider of universal postal services until at least 2018.
Full details of the specified universal postal services to be provided by An Post nationally and internationally are set out in SI 280 of 2012 and also in ComReg document 12/81. The universal postal services specified are as follows:
- A single piece service involving the clearance, sorting, transport and distribution of letters, large envelopes, packets and parcels.
Issuing free certificates of posting.
A registered items (“proof of delivery”) service.
- An insured items service.
- A single piece service provided free of charge to the postal service user for the transmission of postal packets for the blind or partially sighted.
- A service for the clearance, transport and distribution of;
- postal packets deposited in bulk “for delivery only”.
- “postal packets deposited in bulk” for “deferred delivery”.
- foreign postal packets deposited in bulk” pre-sorted by country of destination.
- A service for the clearance, transport and distribution of postal packets deposited with a universal postal service provider at an Office of Exchange within the State by the designated operator of a signatory to the Universal Postal Convention.
- The following special facilities for the delivery of postal packets are also provided:
- Private boxes / bags
- Poste restante
- Business Reply
- Free post
An Post Additional Postal Services
Other than Universal Postal Services An Post also provide other postal services based on consumer demand.
Non Postal Services provided by An Post
An Post also provide a number of Non Postal Services. These cover a wide range of services such as Financial Services, Collection of TV Licence Fees, Printing, Computer software, Digital certification and security, Electronic top up, Business Directories, Etc.
Consumer rights in relation to services provided by An Post
Universal Postal Services - An Post's obligations in respect of price, quality and terms and conditions for its universal postal service are set out in law and it is ComReg's function to ensure that An Post complies with these obligations.
Additional postal services - ComReg's functions are much more limited.
Non Postal Services - ComReg has no direct control over the provision of these services, which are subject to normal commercial law.